Blogging Basics – Adding the Page Title
Adding the Heading (Page Title)
It’s important to create an eye-catching title for your SEO blog posts. Creating awesome titles should be a huge component in your marketing strategy! Incorporate your keyword, and then use action-oriented words, numbers, questions to capture the eyeballs on social media or in search.
According to WordPress “you can use any phrases, words or characters. Avoid using the same title twice as that will cause problems. You can use commas, apostrophes, quotes, hypens/dashes, and other typical symbols in the post like “My Site – Here’s Lookin’ at You, Kid”. WordPress will then clean it up to generate a user-friendly and URL-valid name of the post (also called the “post slug”) to compose the permalink for the post.
In Copyblogger, HubSpot and many other content management systems, your blog title will will also act as your page title. According to Moz, this is the single most-important factor in creating SEO blog posts because your title tag will communicate to Google what your blog is about.
According to Unbounce here are some other things to consider when creating your title:
1. Eight words or less. Titles of eight words or less are the generally accepted standard and have been found to be the most effective. Twitter limits posts to 140 characters, and re-tweets add to the overall length of a tweet. Therefore, shorter titles are better suited for social sharing.
2. Clarity. Blog post titles should clearly convey what the article is about, leaving no ambiguity for readers.
3. Problem solvers. If a post is aimed at a specific reader population and solves a common problem, titles that communicate this benefit are very effective.
4. Incorporating target keywords. Keywords are important in titles for two reasons. First, post titles are typically used to form URLs and can have a big impact on search engine rankings. Second, web searchers often make a broad scan of content and are more likely to click on titles containing pertinent keywords.
5. Create controversy. People are drawn to drama. Blog post titles that trigger an emotional response or touch on a controversial topic are likely to intrigue visitors to read further.
Some Spark It Network tips to remember –
Always start your title with the most important keywords or words like “How to”, “Where to”, “What is”
The title is one of the most SEO important items so taking time to make it great and using words and phrases people are searching for is VERY important.
Using the SEO tools at the bottom of the post builder will help you score higher.