Are you a woman who puts on your Super Woman Cape in the morning with the intention to do IT all? Are you living a balanced life?
There are those who proclaim that they do IT all, and for those who do, I tip my hat to you, but want to bring forth a new point of view in that you can do YOUR all and be living a balanced life! I am proud to share that I was born within the babyboomer generation which was a time when the majority of women were housewives and men brought home the bacon. As the 1960s and 1970s brought forth major changes within the feminist movement, it was an exciting time for me in the 1970s as we realized that we had even more opportunities than our mothers did. Statistics revealed that more women enrolled in college, more women were active in the workforce, while simultaneously getting married and raising a family. We were not our mother’s generation and I recall a conversation with my Mom who told me that I needed to learn to knit so when my children were grown and gone, I would have “busy hands”.
This was not my vision, as I disliked knitting, just as I do now!
I have better things to do to keep me busy and when it came time for my last child leaving the nest, it was the “now what?” syndrome that many of us encounter. I knew what I didn’t want, but wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do. That’s when us Alpha women shift into massive action to discover what our calling is, and for me, it was all about finding a way to let my voice be heard and that was the beginning of The Nancy Ferrari Show, which lead to branding my name, creating my services as a life coach and as I continued to evolve, so did my business. It’s all been divine, as I like to say, however, what I want to share is my experience of living in overdrive, meeting everyone’s needs except our own. It’s sad to say that it’s the ultimate form of self-betrayal.
I was inspired to write this article after my connection with Kim Castle on Connecting People, Changing Lives TV Talk Show which I co-host with my dear friend and “co-heart” Caren Glasser. What Kim shared was her triple Alpha Woman stories of her fast-paced career, and was wildly successful within her media work, mentoring, speaking, and a plethora of other business ventures. She experienced what I knew all too well, which is being tired and wired as our adrenals, hormones and thyroid crash. We both agreed that we were either stubborn or felt we had something to prove and plowed through it all until we just couldn’t. This was our awakening and I know many women experience the same or similar issues. The quest for answers became my #1 priority as was for Kim Castle and am happy to share that both of us have recovered from our episodes of being tremendously out of balance. We now watch for signs as we listen to what our bodies are telling us. We were fortunate and blessed to have found both medical doctors and holistic practitioners who diagnosed us properly and within a few months, we were back to experiencing our vitality and energy once again.
I’d like to share some tips that I experienced on my health journey and some tips that I learned from Kim Castle so you can recognize the signs before your body says “stop”!
1. Learn to say no! When we make ourselves available to everything and everyone and say yes when we mean no, that is a recipe for major burnout. You literally feel like you’re on the backburner on a stove and then wonder why your needs aren’t being met nor are you being heard. I actually have said that I am not available for what is being offered to me if it’s not in alignment for my greater good.
2. Be in tune with your body. Your body is an intricate system that works in tandem within the plethora of internal systems, such as muscular, neurological, hormonal, endocrine, and so many more. When one of our systems is over-stressed, then the others go into overdrive, such as what cortisol will do to help balance you but leaves you feeling depleted. This is how you get labeled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as some doctors fail to diagnose you properly. For instance, an accurate reading of your hormone and thyroid levels are attained through a saliva test, not blood work. Thyroid issues are improved when you shift to a clean way of eating and incorporate an exercise program that is enjoyable all of which provides the benefit of stress reduction. As I work with energy healers and have learned to do the same for others, trapped emotions will find a place within your body to mess with you. There’s a great deal of information available on this topic and am always available to share what I’ve learned about the connection of the mind and body. I think we can all relate to hormonal issues which begins in our early teens, or younger, and when they’re out of balance, that’s when a garden-variety of symptoms such as mood swings, depression, insomnia, weight gain, etc. come your way. No wonder we’re tired and wired. Listen to your body before all these symptoms compound themselves. Ask your doctor for a saliva test which will reveal what is going on within you and as I am an advocate for bio-identical hormones, you will feel amazing, such as I have for over 10 years now. All medical professionals agree on one key element … allow yourself to sleep! Sleep deprivation leads to a myriad of problems and when insomnia becomes an issue, that’s a red flag to make an appointment and get your hormones checked. I always know I’m out of balance when I start waking up at 1:00 a.m. and then can’t get back to sleep. Sleep is essential and we were biologically created to rest our mind, body and spirit.
3. Spend time with YOU! That’s right. You read correctly. Time for yourself is what I refer to as self-love. When you honor and love yourself, it will become natural for you to allow yourself to just “be”. We do not have to be always doing something. There again, that’s a recipe for overload, overwhelm and burn out. If something doesn’t get done today, there’s always tomorrow. Treat yourself as if you would treat others. Buy yourself some flowers, drive to the beach and read a good book that soothes your soul, have a massage, practice meditation and stillness, exercise, lock the bathroom door with a “do not disturb sign” and allow your body to relax in a quiet environment. I could go on and on, however, I think you get the idea of what I am suggesting. You are #1 and when you own that place in your life, everything flows so much better.
4. Find Your Creative Expression. I recently spoke with a woman who loves to write but felt that no one would want to read her stories. I encouraged her to create a blogpost and reminded her that no one is like her. Her point of view within her articles are unique to her and that her message will find its way to the precise person who will receive inspiration from what she reads. The same can be said for any form of creative expression that brings you joy. Remember, we were all designed with qualities that are unique to us, and no one else. The world awaits you and what you have to say, create and contribute.
I invite you to watch our show with Kim Castle HERE. I know you will be even more inspired to take action and be proactive with your life. It’s is yours to live and you deserve to be the best that you can be and more!
With peace and joy ~
Set a complimentary discovery session with Nancy Ferrari here:
Latest posts by Nancy Ferrari (see all)
- Embrace Your DIVA Type with Stylist Biz Coach Jean Price - May 25, 2017
- Ignite the Passion of Midlife with Barbara Waxman - May 22, 2017
- The Unmumsy Mum with Award Winning Blogger Sarah Turner - May 18, 2017