Break the Cycle of Inherited Family Trauma with Mark Wolynn
Welcome to The Nancy Ferrari Show! In this episode, I introduce you to my featured guest Mark Wolynn, author of “IT DIDN’T START WITH YOU: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle”, who is a leading expert on inherited family trauma. As the director of The Family Constellation Institute in San Francisco, he trains clinicians and treats people struggling with depression, anxiety, panic disorder, obsessive thoughts, self-injury, chronic pain, and illness. A sought-after lecturer, he leads workshops at hospitals, clinics, conferences, and teaching centers around the world. He has taught at the University of Pittsburgh, the Western Psychiatric Institute, Kripalu, The Omega Institute, The New York Open Center, and The California Institute of Integral Studies. His articles have appeared in Elephant Journal and Psych Central, and his poetry has been published in The New Yorker.
Mark Wolynn shares profound information about how to break the cycle of inherited family trauma within our conversation:
• His story of losing vision in one eye 25 years ago and was told he would likely go blind in the other eye, and how this experience was the catalyst for doing his work to help others get to the bottom of our inherited fears and anxieties so we can heal and live in peace.
• Many people think that newborns come equipped with a “clean hard drive.” Mark shares how can trauma be passed on genetically from parent to child.
• The notion that traumatic legacies can be passed down through family members over generations is not something that most people are aware is possible. Mark shares the discoveries to support this notion.
• What happens in situations of mass trauma, such as the Holocaust, or 9/11 or our past and current wars, and what might be the effects on the children of survivors.
• What are the symptoms of inherited family trauma.
• The fascination of people tracing their family trees to find out who their ancestors were and why it is also important to learn about and consider the traumas these relatives may have endured.
• Mark recommends that people “shake the family tree” to reveal family secrets and hear stories that didn’t get told to us early in life.
• How can people identify and map out the traumatic events in their family history that keep the cycle of suffering alive from generation to generation.
In his book “IT DIDN’T START WITH YOU”, Mark leads you through a process of self-discovery and healing, helping you identify the emotionally-charged language of your worries and fears that link to unresolved traumas in your childhood or family history. We are guided to become detectives, mining through our family history to unearth the source of our issues and help us break the cycle of destructive inherited family patterns to heal and live a fulfilled life in peace and harmony.
To connect with Mark Wolynn to learn more about his workshops, private sessions, his Core Language Approach and to order his book, please visit www.MarkWolynn.com
Set a complimentary discovery session with Nancy Ferrari here:
Latest posts by Nancy Ferrari (see all)
- Embrace Your DIVA Type with Stylist Biz Coach Jean Price - May 25, 2017
- Ignite the Passion of Midlife with Barbara Waxman - May 22, 2017
- The Unmumsy Mum with Award Winning Blogger Sarah Turner - May 18, 2017