What Is Instagram and Using It As Part Of Your Marketing Plan
Over the next few weeks I will be sharing a five part series on Instagram to assist you in learning the ins and outs of using Instagram to promote your business, products and services online. Just in case, you aren’t familiar with it, it is an extremely popular social network that provides a fun way for its users to take and share photos with friends and followers online.
Unlike other social networks you can only access Instagram from a mobile application. So, to take advantage of this powerful network for your business you’ll need a mobile device like your smartphone or tablet and an Instagram account. Then you can snap, upload and edit your photos on the fly for sharing on multiple social media sites.
As I am writing this, Instagram boasts over 400 million monthly active users with approximately 80 million photos being uploaded a day. Its success is so massive that by 2018, eMarketer predicts that over 100 million people will become active users, comprising nearly one-third of all U.S. residents.
It has taken off faster than any other app in recent years and has quickly become the go to choice for users that want to edit and share their photos on the go.
However, not just social users are indulging in Instagram. Many businesses are finding ways to tap into the massive mobile traffic that it receives every day and using it as a way to build their brands and market their products and services. In fact, over 70% of U.S. companies will market on Instagram by 2017.
Instagram reaches out to an extremely wide audience and allows for in depth searches on the web. With daily updates and added features like geo-tagging and hash tagging, followers can find specific products and information much faster and easier.
Image sharing has never been so exciting and since its conception in 2010 it is fair to say that Instagram is still in its infancy and shows no signs of slowing down in terms of growth and popularity anytime soon. In December of 2015, Mashable rated Instagram as the best photo app of all time.
If you haven’t considered using Instagram as a part of your marketing strategy here are some of the main reasons why you should.
1. Instagram provides instant gratification for its users. They snap, edit and upload. They can also like, share and comment on photos that interest them which makes the viral power of Instagram virtually unstoppable. Imagine having thousands of people comment and share photos from your business, literally within seconds. It really can be that easy!
2. It offer users an easy set up so there is no need to fill in a lengthy profile like other social networks require. You simply download the app to your mobile device create an account and get started right away.
3. For marketing purposes you can use it to showcase your products, services and increase the awareness and popularity of your brand online. Instagram photos and albums are extremely powerful for adding personality to brands in a way that no other network has been able to achieve successfully.
4. Another powerful feature of Instagram that makes it appealing to businesses is the ability to Geotag the actual location where the photo was taken. This instantly links the photo to the location of your business. Check out this post from Popsugar to learn the right way to Geotag on Instagram.
Are you beginning to see how powerful this can be?
Instagram has always been an almost exclusively mobile platform. So to use it you must download the iPhone or Android app to your mobile device to set up your Instagram account.
Keep in mind that all accounts are public by default, but you can create a private account. From a marketing standpoint, however, that really isn’t a good idea, because the whole point is to get your message to the masses.
If you do decide to set up a private account, only users you approve can follow you and view your photos. You can do this from your profile tab under “Privacy.”
Once you are registered, you change your profile picture and edit your profile information. Be sure to take some time to include a good bio. You only have 150-characters to do this so make them count and don’t forget to add a link to your website.
Homework: Download the Instagram app, set up your account and do some exploring.
In the next post we will talk more about how you can tap into the power of this massive social network.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary strategy session with Caren:
Latest posts by Caren Glasser (see all)
- Are You Too Old to Feel Great? - August 2, 2017
- The Little White Lie: How to Be the Best Version of Yourself! - July 25, 2017
- 5 Steps to Finding Happiness Every Day at Any Age - July 20, 2017